Custom Search

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Verb Patterns: Group 3

1.
Subject + verb + Subject Complement
This is a pen.
His brother became a soldier.
It is me.
That book is mine.
Gopal looks sad.
My father grew angry.
The children kept quiet.
The milk has turned sour.
The complement usually consists of a noun (1&2), a pronoun
(3&4),or an adjective(5,6,7& 8).

2.
Subject + verb + noun/pronoun+ (to be) complement
I consider the plan ( to be) unwise.
We thought him (to be) foolish.
People supposed him (to be) a patriot.
They reported Robert (to be) a reliable person.
The court appointed her guardian of the orphan child.
The club chose Mr Sunder trreasurer.
She called him a fool.
The complement may be an adjective, adjective phrase or noun.
The chief verbs used under this pattern are: appoint,choose,elect, make,call,name, nominate, crown,christen.

3.
Conditionals: Type 1(open condition)---Main clause :will/shall/can/may+plain infinitive

If you study hard ---- you will get a first class.
If it rains--- we shall postpone our picnic.
If I find the pen-----I shall give it to you.
If he runs all the time-----he can get there in time.
If her uncle arrives--------she may not come with you.
If you hit the dog--------- it will bite you.
Coditionals of this type that something will happen if a certain condition is fulfilled. The condition may or may not be fulfilled.


4.
conditionals: type 2 (improbable or imaginary condition)
If-clause simple past(subjunctive) ------------------Main clause :would, should,could, might +plain infinitive.

If you should studied hard--------------you would get a first class.
If I were you -------------I should not do that.
If we started now----------------we could be in time.
If you were a millionaire------------how you would spend your time?
If he stopped smoking -------------he might get fat.
If I had a degree ----------------I could get a job easily.

conditionals of this type are used when we talk about something which we don't expect to happen or which is purely imaginary.


5.
Conditionals: type 3 (Unfulfilled conditions)
If clause: past perfect-------- Main clause + would, should,could, might + perfect infinitive.

If you had studied hard------------you would have got a first class.
If I had tried again--------------you should have succeeded.
If I had seen him----------I could have saved him from drowning.
If you had left that wasp alone------ it might not have stung you.
If you had come to me --------- I would not have got into trouble.

Conditions of this type say that something didnot happen because a certain condition was not fulfilled.

6.
Subject + verb + that clause (Object of the verb)

I suppose (that)he is not at home.
I expect (that) it will rain.
We hoped (that)you would succeed.
He says (that)he has met your uncle.
The teacher said he was very busy.
Padma suggested that we should go to the park.
He admitted that he had written the letter.
They complained that they had been fairly treated.

That is often omitted,especially after say,think,suppose, hope & expect.
Among the important verbs used in this pattern are say,think,suppose,imagine,know,believe, admit,confess,declare,suggest,complain,hope,expect,fear,feel,hear,intend,
notice,propose,show,understand, wonder.

7.
Subject+ verb+ Noun/pronoun +that clause

He told me (that)he was coming on Sunday.
I warned him that there were pickpockets in crowd.
She has assured me that she is ready to help.
Vemu promised us tht he would be here at five.
We have informed him that we are leaving this afternoon.
He satisfied me that he could do the work well.

The chief verbs used in this pattern are tell,inform,promise,warn,remind,teach,assure,satisfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment