Custom Search

Monday, February 15, 2010

Verb Patterns: Group 4

1.
Subject+ verb+ too+Adjective/Adverb+ to-infinitive etc.

She is too weak to carry the box.
I am too busy to attend the party.
He talks too fast to be understood.
My sister is too young to go to school.
She is too proud to listen to me.
The boy is too lazy to work.
He worked too slowly to be of much use to me.

2.
Subject + verb Adjective/Adverb+ enough to-infinitive etc.

She is strong enough to carry the box.
He is clever enough to understood it.
The police ran fast enough to catch the burglar.
You are old enough to know better.
She was hit hard enough to be knocked down.
He is tall enough to reach the picture.
She is stupid enough to believe us.

3.

Subject+ verb so+ Adjective/ Adverb + that-clause.

It is so dark that I can see nothing.
He talks so fast that you can hardly follow him.
The box fell so heavily that it was broken.
It was so hot that we had to postpone our trip.
He was so furious that he couldn't speak.
He walked so quickly that we couldn't catch him up.
I was so tired that I couldn't walk any further.

4.
It+ be Adjective/Noun + Noun clause.

It is strang that he should have behaved like that.
It is likely that there will be rain this afternoon.
It is possible that he doesn't understand Hindi.
It is doubtful whether he will be able to come.
It is a pity that you didn't try harder.
It was fortunate that you escaped the accident.
It was a mystery who can have taken my book.

5.
Subject+ verb Noun/pronoun Past participle

I heard my name called.
I want this letter typed.
She felt herself lifted up.
you should get that tooth pulled out.
He had his suit cleaned.
We found the house deserted.

The verbs in this pattern are: see, hear,find,feel,want,wish,like,make,prefer,get & have.

6.

Subject+ verb+ interrogative + clause

I asked where he was going.
Nobody knows when he will arrive.
I wonder what he wants.
She showed how annoyed she was.
Tom could not decide what he should do next.
I can't imagine why she has behaved like that.
- Find out when the train is due.

The important verbs used in this pattern are: say,ask,wonder,know,believe,imagine, decide,discuss,understand,show,reveal,find out,suggest tell( especially in tthe interrogative and negative).

7.

Subject + verb Noun/pronoun interrogative +clause

She asked me when you had gone.
- Tell us what it is.
I showed them how they should do it.
- (please)advise me what I should do.
- (please)inform me Where I should turn off the road.
Can you tell me where he lives.

The chief verbs in this pattern are: tell,ask,show,teach,advise,inform.

No comments:

Post a Comment